The Rise of Sour Beers: A Taste of the Australian Sour Beer Scene
26 Oct 2023
When it comes to beer, many people think of the classic lagers and ales that have been popular for centuries. However, in recent years, a new trend has been brewing Down Under: the rise of sour beers. This sour sensation is taking the Australian craft beer scene by storm, offering beer enthusiasts a whole new world of flavours to explore.
What Are Sour Beers?
Sour beers are exactly what they sound like—beers with a tart and acidic taste. Unlike traditional beer styles, which often feature a balanced maltiness and hop bitterness, sour beers introduce wild yeast strains and bacteria into the brewing process. These microorganisms create a delightful sourness that can range from mildly tangy to mouth-puckeringly acidic.
The Origins of Sour Beers
Sour beers are not entirely new. In fact, they have a rich history dating back centuries in Europe. Traditionally, sour beers were often brewed in regions such as Belgium, where wild yeast and barrel aging were used to produce unique and complex flavours. Today, this tradition is being embraced by Australian craft brewers who are putting their own spin on sour beers.
The Australian Sour Beer Scene
Australia's craft beer scene has been experiencing a sour revolution. Breweries all over the country are experimenting with souring techniques, and the results are spectacular. Here are some key aspects of the Australian sour beer scene:
1. Diverse Flavours: Australian brewers are known for their creativity, and this extends to their sour beer offerings. From fruity and tropical sours to those with a more pronounced funkiness, there's a wide array of flavours to explore.
2. Local Ingredients: Many brewers are using native Australian ingredients to infuse their sour beers with a distinct Aussie flair. This adds a unique and regional character to their creations.
3. Barrel Aging: Some Australian breweries are following the traditional approach by aging their sour beers in wooden barrels, allowing them to develop complex flavours over time.
4. Sour Beer Festivals: Across the country, sour beer festivals are gaining popularity, giving beer enthusiasts a chance to taste a wide variety of sour brews in one place.
5. Collaborations: Brewers often collaborate to create limited-edition sour beers, pushing the boundaries of what's possible in the world of sours.
Australian Sour Beers from Only Craft Beer
If you're eager to explore the Australian sour beer scene, you're in luck. Many craft breweries, especially those known for their innovation, are producing sour beers. Only Craft Beer offer you the best Australian Sour Beers delivered directly to your door.
Here are a few ones to get you started:
- Blackberry Sour from Aether Brewery
- Man-Goes Nowhere from Urban Alley
- Lavender & Cherry Sour from Frexi Brewing
The Australian sour beer scene is thriving, and there has never been a better time to delve into the world of tart and tangy brews.
So, why not give your taste buds a refreshing change and explore the vibrant and diverse range of sour beers that Only Craft Beer has to offer?
Cheers to a sour journey of discovery!
So what are you waiting for?
Buy independent. Support locals. And taste the benefits when fresh beer shows up at your front door.